We are looking for a new collaborator who will work closely with us on upcoming international touring.
Job Title: Artist Assistant
Fee: £750 p/wk for an initial contract of 4 weeks (Freelance)
Closing Date: 12pm 20th August 2018
Interviews: 30th August 2018
Start Date: January 2019
About Selina Thompson Ltd
We make work that is urgent, playful and intimate. We work around the world. So far, our installations and performances have been presented in Australia, Canada, Germany, the US, Brazil, Ireland, and across the UK.
In 2019, we will be touring our award-winning production ‘salt.’ which was presented as part of the British Council Showcase during Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2017 and has been received with international acclaim.
Selina Thompson leads the company as Artistic Director, with the support of Emma Beverley as Producer and Claire Clarke as General Manager.
You can see more about our work at www.selinathompson.co.uk
About the Role
Selina Thompson is a Neurodiverse artist whose formal diagnosis includes General anxiety disorder and Bipolar II disorder, both of which can lead to depression and the experience of panic attacks and hallucinations.
On occasion, this can hinder Selina from working. We are looking to engage an Artist Assistant, to support Selina in preparation of and during our international touring in 2019.
You do not need formal qualifications and training, but you should have some knowledge of Neurodiversity and Mental Health. The Artist Assistant will travel internationally with Selina and the Stage Manager in a pastoral and supportive role. You will work with care and access needs as your core purpose, whilst helping Selina to research and navigate new cities. You should have an artistic practice as well as a supportive / organisational background and enjoy travelling.
Line Managed by the Producer. Working very closely with the Artistic Director.
There may be some slight movement in locations, all to be confirmed by September 2018. Key dates are:
w/c 21 January 2019 Vancouver
w/c 28 January 2019 Toronto
w/c 4 February 2019 Toronto
w/c 11 February 2019 Chicago
All travel expenses, visas, accommodation and per diems will be covered and arranged by the company. There will be evening and weekend work, and the Artist Assistant will need to have a passport with over 2 years before expiry as well as the ability to travel in Canada and the US.
Who we are looking for
We would like to work with someone who:
- Enjoys travelling and feels able to move regularly between locations
- Has no less than 4 years’ experience working professionally in the arts
- Has an artistic practice, and is looking to gain some experience of what this might look like internationally
- Has an interest in afro diasporic work and can demonstrate that interest in their CV.
- Is comfortable working alone – international work can sometimes feel lonely
- Has experience of working with someone who has access needs
- Will take initiative and is good at research
- Is enthusiastic about visiting performing arts festivals and venues
- Has strong communication skills
- Has a valid passport with no less than 2 years before expiry and does not face restrictions on travelling in Canada and the US.
- Feels comfortable in a role that is pastoral as well as artistic, and may require patience and care.
This is an initial contract of four weeks, with the potential to continue working together on future touring projects.
Please send us your CV (no more than 2 pages) and covering letter (no more than 2 pages) that in particular demonstrates:
- Your experience in a pastoral / supportive role
- Your artistic practice
- Your interest in afro diasporic work
- Your experience and interest in working internationally
- Your understanding of working with artists who have access needs.
Please send us your application by 12pm 20th August 2018 to [email protected]
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Emma on [email protected]